Sunday, June 17, 2012

Tongues and Social Media

I was thinking today, I really text a lot.  And chat.  And email. 

Social media is a big part of life nowadays.  I mean friends cheer us up so it's fun to be able to communicate with them even when you aren't hanging out.  But in my opinion, sometimes all this stuff isn't too good.

First of all, it can make you kind of socially awkward.  Texting is fun, but it should never replace seeing your friend face-to-face.  Also, it's usually easier to say things in a text or chat message that you wouldn't say to your friend in person.  Because of this, before I send a text, I think, "would I actually say this to this person?"

And while I'm on the topic, it's just as important to think about what you're going to say in a text as it is in person.  As a girl, I feel like a lot of times I just say whatever comes into my mind instead of thinking first, and that can cause problems.  Sometimes, then, texting can be better because you can really stop and think about your response, whereas in person, you only have so much time to think about your next sentence in your conversation. 

 James 1:19 says, "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry."

Also, James 3:5-6 says, "Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.  The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."

The second set of verses is pretty harsh right?  That just shows how important it is to think before we speak. 

So, my main point is, be careful with social media and the ability to speak without talking face-to-face.  Speaking is a great privledge we have, so use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment